"La conférence d'Amsterdam pour la paix"
written by Huda Sha'arawi, 1879-1947, in L'Egyptienne, Vol. 3 no. 33, December 1927, pp. 2-12 (Egyptienne, 1927), 12 page(s)
This is a sample. For full access:
Please choose from the following options to gain full access to this content
Log in via your academic institution
- Abstract / Summary
- In this article, President Hoda Charaoui provides meeting minutes as well as post-meeting reflections on the November 1927 Amsterdam Peace Conference. In attendance were feminists and peace advocates from a variety of national contexts including organizing members of the International Woman Suffrage Alliance (IWSA) In the Conference’s opening session, Margery Corbett Ashby, the president of the IWSA, explained that the Alliance places the issue of peace on its agenda since it was women’s sacred duty to spread a spirit of peace and fraternity throughout the world. On the second day, the Conference focused on issues of arbitration and international security and, a day later, on the question of disarmament. In closing, President Charaoui, the Conference representative of the Egyptian Feminist Union, asks her audience to turn attention to questions of peace, justice, and fraternity in pursuit of their national and feminist goals. As an example, she argues that members must keep in mind that Egypt’s geographical position and its immediate proximity to the Suez Canal renders the nation vulnerable to foreign aggression.
- Field of Interest
- Women and Social Movements
- Huda Sha'arawi, 1879-1947
- Women and Social Movements, International
- Content Type
- Periodical article
- 0 sec
- Page Count
- Publication Year
- Source Title
- L'Egyptienne, Vol. 3 no. 33, December 1927, pp. 2-12
- Women and Social Movements, History, Women and Social Reform, Transnational Women’s Movement, Mujer y Reforma Social, Mulher e Reforma Social, Movimiento de Mujeres Transnacional, Movimento Feminista Transnacional, Egyptian Feminist Union, Peace, International Governance, and International Law, Disarmament, International Peace
- Disarmament, International Peace
- Keywords and Translated Subjects
- Mujer y Reforma Social, Mulher e Reforma Social, Movimiento de Mujeres Transnacional, Movimento Feminista Transnacional
View my Options
Create an account and get 24 hours access for free.