Brunayini Fofoza (Track)
of International Library of African Music (ILAM), in Hugh Tracey Fieldwork Collection and the Sound of Africa Series, TR193 , 1 min
This is a sample. For full access:
Please choose from the following options to gain full access to this content
Log in via your academic institution
- Field of Interest
- Copyright Message
- Material sourced from the International Library of African Music. Copyright International Library of African Music.
- Brunaini Khoza is a friend of the Chief Fofoza Mwamitwa and composed this song in his honour, here sung by the chief himself. The gist of the song is that without the Chief the people are likely to be in considerable distress which only his presence can dispel. "Brunai ini Makosi Fofzi ujani—na? Inamangawa hewakiti, seho dlawa! Kuduma shibele kungera Mwamitwa." "Brunaini Makosi. How is he? We are in trouble, we are 'killed!' The sound of the light delivery van tells us it is coming with Mwamitwa." In the first line of the song the name of the Chief, Fofoza is pronounced 'Fofozi'.
- Content Type
- Field recording (raw)
- 1 min
- Anthropologist / Ethnographer
- Hugh Tracey, 1903-1977
- Sub Genre
- Praise Song
- Date Recorded
- Series Number
- Anthropology, World Music, Social Sciences, Music & Performing Arts, Cultural anthropology, Africa, Antropologia Cultural, Antropología Cultural, África
- Keywords and Translated Subjects
- Antropologia Cultural, Antropología Cultural, África
View my Options
Create an account and get 24 hours access for free.