Khanya kude (Track)
of International Library of African Music (ILAM), in Hugh Tracey Fieldwork Collection and the Sound of Africa Series, TR193 , 3 mins
This is a sample. For full access:
Please choose from the following options to gain full access to this content
Log in via your academic institution
- Field of Interest
- Copyright Message
- Material sourced from the International Library of African Music. Copyright International Library of African Music.
- Fanisa Mwamitwa is the 'Sati WaHosi', the wife of the Chief. The connection between the meaning of the words of the song and its description as a praise song is not clear. "Khanye kude wawula niudawaze mashanga. Mluwetela wena minda twaze mwana warila." "Bright light (from afar) they mean you, Mindáwazé, worrysome. Keep cool, you Mindáwazé, the child is crying."
- Content Type
- Field recording (raw)
- 3 mins
- Anthropologist / Ethnographer
- Hugh Tracey, 1903-1977
- Sub Genre
- Praise Song
- Series Number
- Anthropology, World Music, Social Sciences, Music & Performing Arts, Cultural anthropology, Africa, Antropologia Cultural, Antropología Cultural, África
- Keywords and Translated Subjects
- Antropologia Cultural, Antropología Cultural, África
View my Options
Create an account and get 24 hours access for free.